Wed, 14 Nov 2018
6:30 PM – 7:45 PM (GMT+0)Add to Calendar
Dave Evans on Designing your Career
Wednesday, 14 November 2018 from 18:30 to 19:45 (London time)
Deciding on your next career step is never easy. Being told to follow your passion typically makes it worse. The solution proposed by Dave Evans (creator of one of Stanford University’s most popular elective courses and author of New York Times #1 bestseller Designing Your Life) is to apply design thinking to career management.
Most people find career designs hard to make: we don’t know enough about our options; we don’t know the implications of our decisions (except that they could be irrevocable) and, very often, our preferred choice is difficult or impossible.
Designers wrestle with these kinds of ambiguous problems every day. Instead of getting wrapped up in over-analysis, designers learn to solve problems by asking questions and building protypes. Dave Evans has spent a decade teaching life design skills to his Stanford students and he will share in this webinar key steps in the process:
- Reframing - How stepping back to examine your assumptions can unlock the way to a solution
- Curiosity – why a “try stuff” mentality is critical to revealing opportunities
- Prototyping – how to get a feel for different career paths before committing yourself
- Accepting the process – understanding that prototypes are built to be imperfect; that failure is a feature not a bug
- Asking for help – how to ask and who can help you most.
We have free tickets for alumni here via the registration page:
(use code “IEalum” if the free ticket is not shown)
All attendees will receive the meeting slides, a recording and a resource pack.
Contact the organizers